Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hola Arequipa

After the last post, I managed to get the package out of customs without shedding any tears (though I was close to!) or physically hurting anybody. That night itself I left it with the very nice people at Cirque Hostal in Lima and scrammed my way down here to Arequipa. Along the way there was

1. a lot of partying
2. sad goodbyes
3. getting lost in the second deepest canyon in the world for a night
4. a trippy festival down south
5. strange strange dreams
6. an unbelievable first meeting with a fellow Malaysian who shares so much in common, friends included, all the way here in South America
7. a lot of partying

More on all of that later but for now, it's been a month since I've left Huanchaco and am now settled in this lovely city of Arequipa. For the next 4 weeks I will be teaching English at the Flora Tristan community school thanks to Travelers Not Tourist. Though it has only been 3 days so far, I am truly enjoying everything; the city, its people, the other volunteers, and most of all, teaching at the school.

Check this out: as a reward for being a good student in class today, I gave my 11 year old student Daniel 10 minutes to use my camera and here are the amazing results:

Somehow these pictures seem to be more of a reward for me.

1 comment:

  1. hey, i've been meaning to do this english teaching thing for a long time, too. how did you get involved and is there any specific requirements i first have to fulfill (like acquire a tesl certificate?) thanks in advanced.

    ReplyDelete