Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 2: #365deeds

Yesterday started off with late afternoon Japanese lunch at Jyu Raku in SS15 Subang.

It was my first meal of 2012 to set the tone of many more good meals to come this year.

On the way to have coffee after that, I was suddenly struck by the obscene decadence (and monetary cost) of my lunch so I bought a loaf of bread plus a carton of juice and gave it to one of the homeless in Bangsar. That was good deed #1 of 2012.

Today I'm not sure if what I'd done can be considered a good deed. Initially I intended to clean my mum's kitchen and organize her baking things. But because of a late start to the day lazing in bed watching a bunch of models try to sing and shoot a music video, I decided to keep the plan for another day. Instead, I came to my little shop and this is what happened.

A lady came in looking for a job. She looked about 40, very chatty and was holding a colourful notebook. I figured something might be a little dodge about her because she was going on and on like a steam train about how she needed a job now and would like to make as much money as possible. The more she talked, the more she revealed.

Turns out, Katy has never worked before because of her mental illness. She tells me that she lives with her dad, was a student in the U.S when she was 24 but has been under psychiatric care since. I asked her, why do you want to work now? Her reply, "My bank account is empty lor!"

At 52 - her true age kinda shocked me a little; she didn't look it at all - she has been asking around at restaurants and small shops but no one would hire her on account of her illness (she calls herself a psychic patient. I don't know if that's even the right term?). So I poured her a cup of tea and told her to leave her name and number.

Besides her name, I.C number, date and time, she also wrote 3 different numbers down: her house number which her dad cancelled because she'd been faxing out a lot of things, but she left it anyway, her dad's cell number and her own number.

I'd like to say that I hired her on the spot, but I can't because I didn't and I didn't because I couldn't. I will have to speak to my "partners" i.e. mum and dad first but I am pretty sure I can convince them that taking Katy on as a part timer could be a good thing. After all, we are looking for someone so...why not right?

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. "Let your intentions be good - embodied in good thoughts, cheerful words, and unselfish deeds - and the world will be to you a bright and happy place in which to work and play and serve" -Grenville Kleiser :) all the best!

    ps: *ahem* it should be 366 right? :)

    ReplyDelete