Monday, April 18, 2011

Moonlight and mescaline

We managed to raise 3000 soles during the fundraiser, success! I wish I had taken a photo of the updated moneymormeter which I painted to show it red hot at the end of the night but since the death of my camera battery charger, it's like I've lost the will to click. I did however possess a mighty strong will to get wasted after cleaning up and there were only 10 of us left sitting around the fire. Which is fine really... if I didn't have a lunch date with Padre Isidro at 12 noon the next day.

Yes, I met the priest when I was watching the sunset from the church on the hill after one of my rare runs. He invited me over to his home so I could meet his 2 daughters s and his mother. He is in his 40's, single and plays the piano beautifully. We got along very well even though he speaks almost no word of English and my Spanish sucks balls. I think I will accept his invitation to join the family at church this Sunday. In the meantime I'll take a bus down to Trujillo sometime this week to pick out my modest white wedding dress.

Strange as it sounds, everything I mentioned above is true. Except the wedding dress part of course because I refuse to be wed in anything but a short, sunshine yellow dress and Padre Isidro just couldn't handle that. He wanted me to meet his kids and share my culture with them, which I did over a nice homely meal of chicken and rice. It was actually very nice to be invited into their simple house for lunch but I was nursing a pretty colossal hangover so I had to pretend that I was a little unwell. Carrying on a conversation in your native language is tough enough when you've had a few; doing it in your fourth language is like trying to open a coconut with a butter knife. Plus, drunk and lying about it in the house of a priest surely gets you a 3rd class ticket to hell in a non A/C cabin doesn't it?

Anyway, this is the pause-for-a-moment-and-think-about-life view from la Iglesia de Huanchaco.


Background music is from Chopin's Andante Spianato

No comments:

Post a Comment