Saturday, March 19, 2011

Nu Yawk city fun with a vintage feel

It's been 5 days since I've arrived in NYC at the start of spring. 16°C with lots of sun, I was brave enough to leave my grandmarry socks at home on Thursday. And to inebriate things more, literally, it was St Patrick's day.

St Paddy's in NYC is just flat out mad. There's a parade on 5th Avenue in the morning and New Yorkers take to the streets in ridiculous green things. Okay maybe I'm a bit too generous with the word ridiculous but the image of the big white guy in the subway dressed in bright green tights is still imprinted on my brain.

Anyway. Before I joined in the revelry myself, I decided to go check out some vintage thrift shops. First stop: Vintage Thrift Shop. ("Hey honey let's start a shop selling old things for cheap." "Good idea! You mean like vintage thrift?" "Yea, exactly. What shall we call it?" "Ummm let's see how about....Vintage Thrift?" "Hm. Something's missing. How about adding "shop"?" "Perfect!")


Vintage Thrift Shop is a non profit that benefits the United Jewish Council on the East Side. Online reviews describe the shop as "upscale thrift". First thought: what the hell is upscale thrift? Will this be another KL hipster trap where I'm supposed to pay $50 for a Bon Jovi CD? (vintage what) Or am expected to believe that the Hairspray tshirt is really vintage and not from FOS where I could've sworn I've seen it before?

Luckily, no. Here are some of the things that chipped off pieces of my brittle heart.

This beautiful trunk looks like it's from the early 40's and has very nice detailing.

It's tagged at only $150.

Good quality shoes ranging from $20 upwards.

Puff the magic dragon may or may not be hiding in this $25 trunk.

No they're not mouldy. The feet things are actually felt.

This was my favourite item in the shop. A shabby chic iron stand lamp, with a pretty base.

Such a nice touch with the glass crystals.

The iron stand can easily be repainted. After you've hit someone on the head with it.

And of course, all self respecting hipsters would have to have one of these vintage spectacles frames. Going from $10 onwards.

I didn't look much into the clothes section but anything tutu screams classy to me.

Hide your money in this little drawer. The thieves will be fooled.

The china bowl had nowhere to sit.

Such beautiful detailing on this couch. And it wasn't too expensive too, but I forgot how much.

Vintage Thrift Shop is located on 286 3rd avenue. To get there, take the 6 train and get off at 23rd street. You might also want to drop into Housing Works, another thrift shop that's very nearby. It's bigger, stocks more furniture items and you can see it as you're walking to Vintage Thrift from the subway station.

No comments:

Post a Comment