Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I could really use a Doraemon right now

There's an episode in the Doraemon manga I used to read where one of the tools the fat cat gave Nobita was a sword that could cut you into half, and that created 2 downsized versions of you. If you wanted you could continue cutting yourself down, effectively creating an entire army of mini yous. If I had that sword now I would cut myself into half, and have one half kick the other half. And then repeat the action with the other half kicking the other half. Then I'll let myselves take a 15 minute break and start over again.

Okay. It's time to confess. Everyone has been asking the same question in different ways and I suppose now would be the best time to get it out since the great big elephant is just about to begin.

"How are you funding your trip?"

Vell. Meagre savings. Good people who let me sleep on their couches. Fabulous friends back home who collect and bank in cheques for me. A very patient ex boyfriend who is taking care of the phone bill (for now only!). And of course, my mum and the rest of my family who have helped me in more ways than I can count.

Money is indeed a huge factor when it comes to travelling. I can't keep track of the countless times people have said to me, I wish I can do what you're doing but... Well, trust me, you can. With good planning ahead of time and keeping careful checks on your cash flow, anybody can travel. Of course I can only claim truth on this hypothesis because of the unwise choices I have made that have cost me some money. Today is an excellent example.

I spent the whole day indoors not just because it's 6°C outside but because it took me a whole day to book a bloody flight ticket out of New York. O brilliant 2% capacity used brain of mind decided yesterday that I have had enough of being in this city and must fly out to Lima on Friday. After much searching, I found the cheapest fare at $500. Unfortunately, this site only accepted US/Canadian credit cards. Fine, I borrowed Samuel's (whom I'm staying with now) card to make a booking only to find out that it is not possible to make a 3rd party booking because the departure date is less than 7 days away.

So that left me with 3 options:

#1 Stay another week in New York, which would mean incurring extra expenses, just so I can book the $500 ticket out next week
#2 Take Spirit airline which costs about the same but on Saturday because that's the only flight they have (By the way besides Eastern China, I have never seen more crappy reviews on any other airline.)
#3 Buy another flight to Lima that departs Friday. Only this costs $700.

Of course #1 and #2 were possible...IF

#1 I had not already purchased a bus ticket from Lima to Trujillo that leaves Sunday noon
#2 I had not already arranged for accommodation in Lima over the weekend
#3 I had not already informed the organization I'll be volunteering with that I would be arriving in Huanchaco for the induction on the 29th.

Now you understand why I could use the Doraemon sword right now? And also how good planning can save you a lot of money?

The honest truth is I have a ridiculously small amount of money and a ridiculously big amount of faith. I'm still trying to figure out if both make a good marriage. I'll let you know once I find out. Till then, take a listen to this song by my favourite lesbian couple who do make a good marriage, The Ditty Bops:

No comments:

Post a Comment