Monday, March 21, 2011

New Yorkers

It's only been a week but already I know that what I love most about this city is the people. I don't know how New Yorkers got a bad rep for being unfriendly because that's not what I found out. I mean sure, this is the city where you can walk the streets in a tutu with a unicorn on a leash and no one will give you a second glance...unless that person is a child/big fan of unicorns/visiting NYC the first time. But just because they don't care doesn't mean they're not nice.

It's easy to strike up a conversation anywhere in New York; the subway, restaurants, even crossing the street. Just yesterday I was at Times Square and picked up a piece of paper that flew from a news stand. I returned it to the dude behind the counter, we chatted for a bit and he gave me a Milky Way bar. Then there was the guy working at the American Folk Art museum who, upon finding out that I wasn't local, offered to be my tour guide in the city.

And of course there are the numerous street musicians and homeless people who seem to be more than happy just to talk about their lives or tell you funky stories. Like this guy on Union Square.



1 comment:

  1. I agree.. New Yorkers might get a bad rep but I found them to be utterly charming and ever so friendly! Just got back from NYC a coupla weeks ago and was at the BoatHouse on Central Park. Was taking a few snaps from the cafe area looking to the lake where the restauarant is situated and one of the servers and I got into a conversation. He told me this funny story of loving the movie 27 Dresses even before it came out coz it gave him a day off as the movie was filmed there! He even said it was ok for me to come into the restaurant and take a few snaps (the restaurant was closed). Love NYC! - Happy travelling!

    ReplyDelete